Sienna

What NOT to feed your Pets

 

Chocolate

It contains a chemical theobromine and caffeine, both of which are life-threatening to pets, even in small doses. Dark chocolate contains higher concentrations of the chemical and is more dangerous than milk or white chocolate. For smaller breeds, 28g of baking chocolate can be fatal.

Grapes, Raisins

Causes renal failure in dogs and cats. Even grape juice is dangerous.

Onions, Garlic

Raw, cooked or powdered, these when consumed, damage red blood cells causing anemia which can be fatal.

Macadamia Nuts

Can cause weakness, inability to walk, tremors and fever.

Xylitol

This artificial sweetener is commonly found in breath mints, toothpaste and chewing gum and on ingestion, can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar which can be fatal.

Aloe Plant

Causes vomiting, reddish urine and tumors in dogs and cats.

Jade Plant

Aka a Chinese or Japanese rubber plant or a friendship tree, it can cause vomiting, depression and coordination problems.

Lilies

Most plants of the lily family are toxic to cats and some are toxic to dogs. The whole plant is toxic, not just the flowers or the pollen. Ingesting just two leaves or a part of a flower can be fatal for pets, and in smaller doses, it can cause sudden renal failure, vomiting, lack of appetite and difficulty in swallowing.

Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen

These pain and fever reducing chemicals, found in over-the-counter drugs such as Panadol and Tylenol, can cause severe and irreparable liver damage in dogs and cats, and can be fatal.

Household Cleaners and Detergents

Household cleaners, bleach and even air fresheners contain toxic chemicals that are dangerous for pets to lick or ingest. They can cause gastrointestinal ulcers.

 

Sources : Dr Travis Jayson from The Pet Doctors Veterinary Clinic, www.vetstreet.com. www.vcahospitals.com and www.aspca.org.