- This event has passed.
Chingay Parade 2020 – Colours in Harmony
January 31 - February 1
Chingay means the art of costume and masquerade in the Hokkien dialect and it is the largest street performance and float parade in Asia.
- This edition of Singapore’s unique multicultural street and floats extravaganza – Harmony in Motion – features for the first time four different races celebrating diversity in harmony by performing as one, sharing common elements in costumes, music and choreography, yet retaining their distinct ethnic identities.
- Around 6,000 volunteer performers from all walks of life and different organisations will showcase their passion, skills and talents over five parade segments.
- A unique Bridge of Harmony float, will feature ‘Harmony‘ tiles made by more than 20,000 residents island-wide.
- Chinese performing art groups refresh traditional art forms by including new styles … look out for a ‘battle’ between stilt walkers and sky runners, the conventional dragon dance performed on a 3.5-m high rotating see-saw structures, remote-controlled LED flying dragons and lion dance performances from giant balloons.
- As a part of the finale, the 250m parade route will be transformed into a sea of bamboo, in six colours to represent different community values, with 600 young percussionists incorporating bamboo into their performances. Symbolically, bamboos represent strength and when multiple bamboo sticks are bound together, the combined strength is great and the structure will not break, further signifying strength and unity.